[Gpdd] Lung problems - help!

Marielle Smith marielle at markinekt.com
Mon Aug 16 18:42:39 EDT 2004

Hey, Gang,

This is my first posting to the list - and how awful that I'm posting
with a call for help because of bad news...  My dear 3-year-old piggie
Windex a few months ago started doing this weird wheezing crying thing -
it first happened when his younger buddies (our other 2 boars, Widget
and Schocki) were fighting.  They've since been separated, but we
assumed this was his way of calling for help.

Anyway, more recently he did it again, and we noticed that he was also
drinking an unusally large volume of water.  This weekend, we took
Windex to the vet, who found slightly elevated white blood cells in his
urine, so we assumed that Windex was crying because of a bladder
infection, and we started giving him Baytril.

Not being very competent parently, we never really taught Windex to take
medicine orally through one of those syringe squirters, so he was very
feisty - and the second dose was a mess - he inhaled the medicine, I
think.  We ended up back at the vet's today - assuming he'd gotten the
Baytril in his lungs - he'd been breathing with gurgling sounds all
evening last night, and although the gurgling had gone away, he was
breathing a bit labored.

The vet took xrays which showed some darkened areas in the lungs, which
she explained was fluid.  There was a little sludge in his bladder as
well, but she said she was less concerned with that right now.  They
then took blood and we're waiting for the results now.  We have been
instructed to give him injections of Baytril (I sure hope I can manage
that!), and to keep an eye on him.  He's been eating bits of his
favorite veggies and some hay - he even chomped a good deal on a celery
stalk, but hasn't had any water.  Lucky they gave him some IV fluids at
the vet.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?  Does anyone have any ideas
on how I can get him to drink?  We left the vets about 4 hours ago, so
maybe he's just tired.  I just don't want him to get dehydrated!

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to help Windex!

Best,
Marielle, Windex, Widget and Schocki (and Russell - Windex's original
daddy / Marielle's boyfriend - too!)