[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Silky has left us

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 21:53:56 EDT 2004

I am sorry to announce that our most precious girl Silky was diagnosed with
a bladder tumor yesterday and peacefully went to the Rainbow Bridge.  Her
illness was sudden and short.  She was a great friend to Penny, who has  been
struggling with both a gallstone and teeth problems.  Silky was very  brave
during Hurricane Charley, which thankfully did not hit us.

Our time with Silky was very short.  She started life in Arcadia,  outside in
a crowded cage.  She was rescued when the breeder who kept her  decided to go
out of business.  She spent a brief period in a foster home  and was adopted
by a nice family with two small girls.  She got the best of  care and
attention but was a little nervous around the kids.  She came to  us late last year
and became a friend of Penny, who up until that point had  lived a solitary life
with a family who abandoned her.  These two girls  became fast friends and
enjoyed eating hay and chasing each other.   Gradually, Silky let us rub her
head and under her chin, and we brushed her  beautiful long hair.

I am still in shock as this happened so quickly.  I am confident that  Penny
will not be without a companion for long.  I am going to Punta Gorda  to
assist the HSUS with rescue efforts.  Maybe a pig will cross my  path.

Regards,

Dana F. Hakes
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society

Please check out our rabbit information and lists of  adoptable rabbits
at:_www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL92.html