[Gpdd] RE: CARE: kelp for piggies???

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 24 23:03:17 EDT 2004

	I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if kelp (dehydrated
seaweed meal) is something that can be fed to guinea pigs as a
supplement???  I get it in bulk and feed it to my sheep and dog, and
have just begun feeding it to my cats.  Supposed to be a good overall
health supplement for them, but I have NO IDEA if it is OK for piggies.
Too much calcium maybe???  Though it doesn't list calcium on the bag.

Here is the guaranteed analysis:
Crude fibre, max	8%
Potassium, min	2%
Salt, max		6%
Iodine, max		.08%
Sulphate, max	7%

	I have not ever given this to any of my piggies, so if this is
something BAD for GP's, please don't anyone freak out on me!!!  I have
included the website of the company I get it from...there are LOTS of
other products in there that would POTENTIALLY seem beneficial to GP's.

Probiotics, diatomaceous earth for parasites, Stalosan for cage/bedding
care kelp (it does say this can be used for rabbits, birds and small
animals)...i haven't read everything about these items, but you can
understand how we piggie enthusiasts may find interest in them.  Below
is a quote from the website about the kelp that may be of particular
interest to some of us.

"Kelp, a variety of seaweed, is one of the rare plants whose effect
against mastitis has been proven scientifically. Its effect is
preventive, however, rather than curative. In a seven-year experiment
with twin cows, where one was given kelp in its ration and the other
not, the incidence of mastitis was greatly reduced in the cows receiving
kelp. Kelp has an effect on different types of bacteria, not to mention
the numerous minerals it contains."

Hmmm, I'm curious about some of this stuff!  Anyone else???

www.bio-ag.com

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Cavy Rescue
576 Trapp Road