[Gpdd] CARE: holding

Missy Chodoro melissachodoro at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 14:07:36 EDT 2004

Hi everyone. When I first got Lemiwinks from the shelter, he was very shy and timid and easy to pick up. Now that he has discovered floor time and has overcome his shyness, he is more difficult to hold. We do lap time but it's getting harder and harder for me to grab him from his cage. I don't want to just open the door and let him come out on his own because i did that with my last piggie and he never wanted to be held. What are some ways that I can approach him while he's in the cage so he doesn't run wild and away from me? When I first got him, I decided I would train him with a bell so that everytime the bell rang, he would get fed. It's really very cute because now whenever he hears the bell, he starts his squeaking. Its not cute, however, when the dog comes up to his cage and brushes the bell and it isn't time for dinner. I have started to ring the bell during floor time when I give him a treat so that he will come to me so then i can lure him onto my lap with a treat. Any
 other ideas?
Melissa and Lemiwinks