[Gpdd] [Health] - Iolanthe/Timothy/Lumps

Julia Porter tabithaporter at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 14:26:17 EDT 2004

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who has written to me regarding Iolanthe and the story of Timothy's abcesses.  I thought I'd give you all an update.

You'll never believe this, but this morning as I was giving Iolanthe her Baytril, I noticed she had a lump at the side of her mouth, so guess where we ended up tonight after work! The vet told me that it was also an abcess but because it was just under the skin, he managed to squeeze it and empty it of its contents. He said it was a shame that the other wasn't the same - and I would have to agree. I then had the opportunity to ask him more questions about Timothy, and I discovered the reason he hadn't been able to tell that his lumps had been abcesses was because they were both solid - hence his reasoning they had been tumours. He went on to explain that the condition Timothy had meant that he would have had abcesses all down his lymph nodes and, had he survived, it is more than likely that as these abcesses grew bigger, he would have wasted away over a period of weeks. So, I guess, in some respects it was better that he left when he did - it would have been awful if he'd had a long
 drawn out problem.

I'm going away for the weekend, so Iolanthe is coming with me.  I have 4 pigs and unfortunately, 2 of the ones who will be left bully the third one, so Belinda is coming with me as well!  Hmm, hadn't quite planned a weekend away with 2 guineas, but there you go!

We're due back at the vet on Tuesday for the throat abcess, so I'll let you know how we get on then!

Warm wheeks!

Julia & Guinea Girls
remembering Tabitha, Charlotte, Perdita, Ophelia, Delilah & Timothy at the bridge