[Gpdd] [CARE] <re: Feeding>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 22:38:21 EDT 2004

Grass hay is the staple of any pig's diet. They should
have constant hay to maintain healthy teeth and
digestion. I only give mine about 1/4 cup-1/2 cup of
pellets a day. They are very rich and more than that
causes them to become too plump. :) Not that they
aren't cuter when they're plump, but of course I want
them to be healthy! They also get a variety of
veggies, roughly a cup each, daily. Their vit. C is
supplemented by their veggies, and an occasional vit.
C supplement. I used to give their chewable vit C.
supplement, 50mg, daily, but then I looked more into
the adverse affects of too much vit. C in the diet
long-term, so I try to keep it closer to the 25mg per
day range. But I am blabbing as usual.
Skip the vitamins and water supplements. Vit C is
unstable in chlorine and light. Many vitamin
supplements contain fat-soluble vitamins that can
build up in the cavy's body and have adverse health
affects.
Beware of many cheaper brands of pellets with colorful
bits and seeds in them. First, a lot of the cheaper
brands will contain dairy and animal ingredients,
which the cavy's system wasn't meant to ingest on a
regular basis. Also, many of these freeze-dried
veggies and colorful bits don't provide any more
nutrition than would a good brand of pellets and daily
veggies. Also, many cavies will pick the more tasty
but less nutritious bits out and leave the pellets.
Beware than seeds with shells (like sunflower seeds)
and hard corn kernals (serve no purpose as far as I
can tell) can be choking hazards. Keep in mind that
seeds are really rather fattening too.
It's good that you are keeping track of her weight and
that she hasn't lost any. I would recommend buying a
small scale if you haven't already and weighing her
every week, to see if she is gaining weight with the
mix food. Also, at her annual vet checkup, the vet
could tell you (if s/he's experienced with cavies)
what a healthy weight for her should be.
Ok, this is probably more info than you need, but I
hope this helps.
Wheeeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!