[Gpdd] [CARE] <Guinea pig odors>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 23:15:45 EDT 2004

Hi,
First I would enourage you as a newcomer to the guinea
pig scene to take advantage of some of the great
internet resources available to learn about these
great pets to decide whether they are right for you.
It looks as though you have already started doing
that, and I applaud your responsible approach! Here
are a few good resources for beginners:

Please go to this quick and informative page, "Raising
A Healthy Guinea Pig" from Guinea Lynx.
http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

www.cavymadness.com
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/
www.cavyspirit.com
www.cavycages.com

To answer your question, in my experience guinea pigs
and gpig cages do NOT smell strongly or badly, and do
not get as smelly as fast as ferrets, rats, and mice.
You should do a complete cleaning of your gpigs' cage
once a week (if you use a traditional bedding; people
who house their pigs on towels or fleece may have a
different cleaning routine). A combo of vinegar and
water or an animal friendly enzyme-based cleaner work
very well. Make sure that you do NOT use cedar chips
for your pig. They contain strong phenols that can
cause respiratory problems. Pine is another soft wood
that contains phenols, although kiln-dried pine is
allegedly safer than "raw" pine. I bed my pigs on a
combo of Aspen chips and Carefresh (soft pulverized
wood pulp) over that.

Also, I would strongly encourage you, after
researching care, to contact your local shelters and
humane societies, and go to www.petfinder.org (if you
are in the US or Canada) to first see if there are any
homeless pigs in your area. There may be more than you
think.

A few more thoughts before I stop blabbing- please
consider starting with two pigs of the same sex
instead of just one. Two pigs are really not any more
difficult nor that much more costly to care for than
one, and since they are incredibly social animals most
really do better (and are more lively and fun to
watch) than solo pigs. This will not affect how they
bond with you, either. I have two bonded pigs (a
neutered brother and sister) who both have their own
personalities and bond with me in their own ways.

PLEASE BEFORE you get a piggilie, find a vet
EXPERIENCED IN TREATING CAVIES in your area. Don't
assume that your regular cat/dog vet will suffice.
Most ordinary vets just do not have abundant knowledge
or experience with cavies. AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR
PIGS, schedule an appt. with your vet, to verify their
health and most importantly their GENDER!!! Missexing
of pigs is a huge, widespread but easily preventable
problem.

Avoid the average pet store cages!!! Most are just way
too small. A piggie really thrives in an environment
where he has the freedom to run around in spurts,
"popcorn" (jump like a Mexican Jumping Bean) and which
provides him with mental stimulation. Once you realize
how easy it can be to build your own "piggie palace,"
I think you will find that it is very fun and very
rewarding to spoil your piggies! And they will reward
you hundredfold with their love, antics and purrs.
Guinea pigs are not merely "kids' starter pets," as
most people sadly assume. They are really adult pets -
once you understand their behavior and witness their
childlike antics - you, I think, will be very happy
you stumbled into the world of pigs.

Thanks for reading this! I hope you will someday
become a "piggie slave" like the rest of us!

Wheeeks,
Lauren, mama of Piglet and Pooh Bear

****************************

Good afternoon,

We are thinking of purchasing a guinea pig, but we
were concerned about
whether or not guinea pigs have an unpleasant odor
when housed in their  cages.
Could you please let me know if this is true.

Thank you.

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!