[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Re: Sick Piggie Help

heather.cougar at simmons.edu heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Mon Aug 30 12:22:25 EDT 2004

If your vet has never heard of bladder stones in guinea pigs, then she is
probably not the right vet to be treating a piggie. Stones are, unfortunately,
a fairly common malaise for our little friends. It's not a matter of being
"better" than the vet, her specialty is probably with other animals. But it's
very important to question doctors, for your pig and yourself, if you sense
that something isn't quite right. If other vets are available in your area, I
would look for one with more pig experience.

I haven't heard of the medicine you describe being used for stones, I've only
heard of Baytril. But my pig was one of the stone piggies that used the herb
Shilintong, so he never got medication for his stone (which was successfully
passed). It is important with any medication that is or may be an antibiotic to
make sure the pig's gut flora are not being depleted, which can lead to fatal
diarrhea - feeding probiotics, yogurt, and even (gross as it sounds) poos from
healthy pigs can help prevent this.

Shilintong is an alternative herbal treatment that relaxes structures in the
kidneys and bladder, allowing stones to pass and preventing new ones from
forming. The herb does not do anything to the stone itself. I believe Leah made
a post a few days ago with a really good site for getting the herb online.

Wheeks,
Heather and Niles