[Gpdd] Health: Re: Sick Piggie help

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 18:23:35 EDT 2004

Hi Jarryd!
I have to agree with Heather in that if your
Vet has never heard of stones in piggies, then
it's time to get a new Vet. It sounds like
your Vet did a urinalysis on your piggie and
is treating her for a urinary tract infection
(UTI). SMZ/TMP is an antibiotic called
Sulfa-trimeth oral suspension (there's a longer
scientific name and if you do an internet search
on Google or something similar, you can read more
about this drug). SMZ/TMP is easier on the stomach
than Baytril, but it's also not as strong as Baytril,
so it didn't do much for my Brownie Bear. Also, you
need to find an experienced Exotics Vet who can
give your piglet an x-ray to check for stones.
Because, I made the mistake of allowing 2 different
(inexperienced) Vets to treat Brownie for UTI's when
she really had bladder stones. To this day, I still
feel guilty about that, so if there was one piece
of advice I would give a Slave, it's this: If your
piggie is having problems 'down there', then insist
on having x-rays done in the beginning to check for
stones. You will save yourself (and more importantly,
your piggie) a lot of time, $money$, and frustration
in the end.

Heather is absolutely right about giving your piggie
a probiotic to keep your piggie's gut flora intact.
However, if you do have a piggie with bladder stones,
then try to avoid the yogurt, as it is high in
calcium. I always keep Benebac on hand, but I've
never had to use it because B-Bear takes medicine
pretty well (i.e. she'll have little or no diarrhea).

I totally recommend Shilintong and here's the
website where I got it:

       http://www.fareastginseng.com/

Click on the 'Herbs by Category' tab on the left.
Then, click the link for 'Urinary and Prostate' and
then you'll see a pigture of the Shilintong listed
as 'Clear Urinary Tract' -- SHILINTONG'.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten
that Shilintong as fast as I could, and given that
to Brownie Bear. Because, Surgery on a guinea
pig is no laughing matter. :-(

I hope your piggie is feeling better soon.
Please keep us posted, okay?

Brownie Bear and I send Hugs 'n Healing
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeks to your lil' piggie--

     Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeps,
         Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)

I have recently gotten a 3 yr old guinea
pig who was abused and neglected. On Monday
of this week I noticed she was whining when
she would pee. I thought oh no a bladder stone
or infection. So Today I got her into the vet.
He did a urine test and there is a high % of
blood in the urine. He had to go get a guinea
pig book out because he never heard of bladder
stones in guinea pigs before. He gave me this
medicine called well I am not sure it doesn't
say directly on it but I think its called
SMZ/TMP its cloudy kinda pinkish oranges color
and a little thick. I have heard people say
they have used Batril on guinea pigs or a herb
called Shilitong or something. I don't know
I am very confused and I don't wanna say I am
better and know more than the vet but I feel
like she isn't getting the correct medications
for what he said should clear her up. ANY
suggestions would be WONDERFUL my e-mail is
JarryD at comcast.net I would appriciate and
websites information, anything you can think
of to help!