[Gpdd] HEALTH: Paralysis issue

Audrey Binder agbmcmd at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 14:03:37 EST 2004

This was sent yesterday, 12/1, but the forwarded message did not get included, so here it is again:

I have been a member of gpdd for a few months now, but have only been a periodic silent reader.  I have a very dear little gp named Reese and this morning when I went to feed him, I noticed he had a lack of use of his right back leg.  He has never had this, and last night he was fine.  He was not dropped or handled roughly (I treat him like he was my child) and I am the only person in the house.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do?  I looked up the Peter Guerney Website and he recommends something called Osteocare to build up calcium.  Has anyone here used this, and if so, where do I get it, and how do I administer it?

Reese is at least 2+ years old (I'm not sure exactly because I found him in the woods behind my house after someone dumped him there 2 years ago).  Other than the leg problem, he seems fine, although he is scared.  I have ruled out stroke, because he doesn't seem to have the other symptoms.

Any advice or help you can provide is welcome.

P.S. - It is a day later and after trying successfully to reach my vet, I went home after work, and Reese seems fine now.  He is walking and acting fine.  I am still baffled as to what may have caused this.  A leg cramp maybe?  I also found out that Osteocare is a British product, and not sold in the U.S.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?