[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Piggy Pain/Hospice

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 13:04:37 EST 2004

I think you have to take into account the disease, the
prognosis and the age of the pig. When Gizmo was
diagnosed with leukemia he was already 4 years old, so
I decided not to do chemotherapy. He had had a good
life, and the chemo would have just made him
miserable. Plus, he would have had to have been
anesthetized for every treatment, which would mean he
would have to spend an entire day alone at the vet's
office. I didn't want to put him through that. I
wanted him to be at home where I could make him as
comfortable as possible. I spoiled him, and gave him
everything he wanted to eat (including those no-no's
like granola and Frosted Mini-wheats cereal). I gave
him lots of lap time, and when he started to have
serious breathing trouble (the cancer had spread to
his lungs) and stopped eating, I knew it was time to
let him go. I'm not saying it was an easy decision-it
wasn't-but I knew the time for heroic measures was
long past. I had never had to euthanize a pet before,
so I guess my hangup was wondering if I would know
when it was time, and not have him be in pain without
my realizing it.

If he had been a  much younger pig and the leukemia
was in the early stages, I might have considered
chemotherapy, depending on what my vet thought the
success rate might be. Some cancers spread faster than
others, unfortunately, leukemia is one of the fast
ones.
I think we owe it to these beautiful little creatures
to be prepared to release them from their pain if the
situation warrants it. It's so hard to let go, but I
think it is cruel to hang onto them when they are
obviously suffering.

Just my two cents.
Stacy and the Squee Squad
Max, Serendipity, Maxine, Teddy, Oscar, Willie,
Pinkerton, Jasper and Tigger
Remembering always, Gizmo.