[Gpdd] MISC. - Bud, the rodeo guinea pig

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Fri Dec 10 11:04:35 EST 2004

Hi,

     I have so enjoyed the virtual road trip and it inspired me to share a little about Bud's real life. I got Bud in mid-May when he was two months old and by the beginning of June he was on the road with my husband and me every weekend. From April until October my husband is a rodeo cowboy on the weekends (including lots of long three and four day weekends), calf roping. We have one of those RV horse trailers: horses, tack and feed in the back and RV living quarters in the front.
     I bought Bud a small (by ANY standards) cage that I call his travel cage. During the driving time he is in his travel cage on the back seat of the pickup. Every time we stop for gas or a pit stop he gets a small veggie snack. Our closest trips are three hours and we travel usually no farther in a day than eight hours but you can see that this is lots of driving time for all of us. It's very common to have three and four separate rodeos to go to in any one given weekend. I always have hay and pellets available for him but he doesn't eat much when we drive. He just curls up in the corner and watches the world go by. I can reach in and open the cage door from my seat so he gets lots of petting time during the (boring) driving time.
     I've read people writing in to gpdd expressing concern over piggies not eating or drinking on trips but it never had any negative impact on Bud. I think because we started when he was small, he just got used to the routine. When he is hungry, he will eat and he keeps hydrated from the veggie snacks.
     As soon as we get to the rodeo grounds I take him into the RV section of the trailer and make sure he has water. He knows the program and he comes to life running around and begging for treats. Every day I let him go on the floor of the trailer. I sit on the floor and he runs around and jumps on my lap just like he does at home. He uses his litter box so even cleanup is a breeze. The trailer has both a furnace and an air conditioner so he stays very comfy.
     There's an added benefit to this. Many of the cowboys travel with their families in the summer and Bud has made many young friends of the kids. They are all in love with him at first sight and many ask to see him each weekend. We had two cowboys in our trailer for breakfast one morning and one of them seemed quite interested in Bud. He told me they had pet guinea pigs when he was young and also pet raccoons. He said a raccoon can trash a house in record time and I believe it! Now everywhere we see him he asks if Bud is along.
     It's also interesting to me that often when we get home and I'm carrying Bud up the back steps (even when his cage is covered if the weather is cool or windy), he squeaks because he knows he's home. I really think he likes it all and his life is NEVER boring. He appreciates the roomy home cage when we get back and he loves all the extra attention when we travel.

     When all of you are singing your road trip songs, think of Bud and me who will be singing them for real come next spring. I have often wondered if Bud is the only rodeo guinea pig in America. He's certainly the only one I know of. Sorry this was long but it was fun for me to share.

Happy Holidays,
Carla and Rodeo Bud