[Gpdd] Behavior: Re: Mean Katie (gpdd)

Jackie Bickers jackie3492 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 13:49:57 EST 2004

CJ-
Since you still aren't sure when Katie nips if its is a malicious bite or
not, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't. Believe me, when a
guinea pig nails you with intent, you'll know :) I have a lot of ideas about
why they nip. One is that they can get really involved with finger licking.
Tastes so good to them, they try a bite. They know food comes from your
hands, they definitely make that connection.  The other is that I think nips
are part of thier communication. If I have Jasmine on my lap, out of nowhere
she will start chewing on me. This means she is about to soak my pants,
she's trying to warn me. Simon doesn't like to be touched under his neck on
his chest. If I stray to close he gives me a warning by a small nip. I've
ignored that warning and he's drawn blood. That might sound mean, but that
was my fault. Otherwise he doesn't bite. So I doubt she's trying to be mean,
she's probably just trying to tell you something.
Jackie (and Simon, Jasmine, Rusty, Sabrina, Jezebel, and Lucy)