[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Mange Mites

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 13:06:11 EST 2004

Carrie,
My vet told me that most piggies can carry mange
mites; they are microscopic and live under the skin.
Most pigs aren't bothered by them, but if they get
sick or are stressed (like in a pet store environment)
they can most definitely have an infestation and need
treatment. I've had two pigs get an attack of mites on
two separate occasions, and ended up having to treat
all 10 of them--had to load them all up and take them
to the vet every two weeks for 3 treatments. it was
not fun, and it wasn't cheap. I adopted one of the
Maryland pigs who had a horrible case of mites. The
shelter had been treating him with Ivermectin for
weeks, and I even got a couple of doses to give him at
home. I also used the Peter Gurney essential oil
treatment on him, and although it made him smell like
a hippie (it's got patchouli in it, among other
things) it made his skin and hair really soft and
helped with the itchiness. None of my other pigs
caught mites from him, but I kept him quarantined the
whole time. Learned my lesson from the two previous
cases.
Since mange is mange, and dogs and cats get it, I
would assume that other animals can get it as well,
although the biggest concern would be those pigs who
are in close contact with the infested one. I would
definitely show the pet store the Guinea Lynx article.
I don't know how good a reception you'll get, though.
Some pet stores don't like "know-it-all" customers.
Good luck,
Stacy and the Squee Squad