[Gpdd] Health: Shy Guy is sick

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Tue Dec 14 23:48:55 EST 2004

I haven't had a chance to write recently, as we have been busy situating the northern branch of the Penny Giggles. PB, Bob Bob, Boar-is, and Shy Guy came to live with us last week. Well Shy Guy also starting peeing blood last week and we had trouble with our long-term vet, who brushed off our concern for him. We got a second opinion from a new vet, and she seems very knowledgeable. We got a recommendation for her from guinea pig site.

Anyway, Shy Guy is now on Baytril and some probiotics to help balance his system. The urinalysis found lots of protein in his urine, and we are having that further analyzed. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? The vet said Shy Guy needs to gain weight, as he's currently under a pound and a bit bony. We're going in for a blood test tomorrow.

Today he stopped eating on his own. You can imagine how worried we are now. We've barely had a week to introduce ourselves. We are feeding him mashed up alfalfa pellets mixed with pedialyte, veggie baby food, romaine and parsley multiple times throughout the day. Our critical care is being shipped, as no one offers it near us. We are also giving him cranberry juice by syringe often to help what seems to be a urinary infection. Does any one have any advice? We haven't had him very long. I don't want to lose Shy Guy yet. I am having sad flashbacks of our little George passing away only a month ago.

Jennifer and Adam, and...PB, Bob Bob, Boar-is, and Shy Guy

"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."