[Gpdd] (Care) Congrats to PattyCake and Fiona and Sydney

Sandra Oliver-Poore oliverpoore at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 20 03:29:18 EST 2004

Dear Margaret and Pattycake, Raina and all,

Your 3 new fuzz balls sound so darling, the only thing close to a baby
guinea pig in this wide world is an adult piggie.  My advice sounds like you
are already doing, don't let the papa stay in with mama any where near full
term, the sow goes into heat an hour after birth and the ensuing pursuit can
be devastating to the babies and not very good for the sow either, I speak
from sad experience.

On the flip side it is good to let other sows remain with the expectant mom.
It is well documented that the "aunties"  can actually help with the clean
up.

I have fed small amounts of warm milk and whole wheat toast or oatmeal to
sows although many advise not to, and I mix in alfalfa pellets with the
timothy hay ones.  I don't feel a need to limit veggies except for any thing
with a lot of natural sugar and those high in calcium.

I saw a  post from Raina about new  babies and she thought she had to wait 2
wheeks to hold the piglets.  Egad, I can barely wait 2 hours, I can't
imagine that 2 wheeks is relevant or necessary.  Hi and congrats to Raina
and her newly big family too!

Thank you so much for volunteering to take my girls, I'm sorry I couldn't
round up transportation fast enough.  Do you have any friends driving this
way for xmas?

I send many parsley wishes for your newest family and the 2 to come

Sandy and the Penny Giggles, (2 silly sows, Danielle and Feebeep, still need
a new home)