[Gpdd] MISC - U of Indiana student

pkduffy at comcast.net pkduffy at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 13:40:49 EST 2004

As all of you were, I was appalled to read about the poor piggie who was abused, and relieved s/he survived (although it is unfortunate the little fellow has to stay in a shelter instead of being adopted right away into a loving home).  I, however, have a different perspective on the student.  As a public defender for ten years I have defended numerous people accused of horrendous crimes. I can honestly say that these people are not monsters or inhuman, despite the fact they may have committed inhumane acts.  As we all know, it is an unfortunate fact that kids who are abused (both sexually and physically) and/or neglected often take out their anger and frustration on helpless animals.

I have no idea what the student's background may be.  He obviously did not, at any point, acquire a proper respect and love for animals.  Perhaps a better "punishment" than "throwing the book at him" or "throwing him out a window" would be for him to pay a sizeable "fine" to the animal shelter housing the piggie and perform 100 hours of community service at a shelter (supervised of course) learning to take care of/clean up after/etc. the animals.  I think it would be a far better outcome to have this young man understand his behavior and hopefully learn to respect/appreciate animals instead of being kicked out of school, etc.