[Gpdd] Misc: Gizmo

David Blair notinKeys at netscape.net
Fri Dec 24 11:25:51 EST 2004

Florida. DisneyWorld. Two of my favorite places, and it is great that one is within the other. We used to go to Florida and DisneyWorld two, sometimes three times every year.

So, in the fall of 1999, we planned a trip to Florida. However, just before we left, I found out about a wonderful piggie rescue named Critter Corral in Steger, Il. As it turns out, I found a piggie there that I wanted very much. So much so that, because we were adopting him, the only time I ever WANTED to come home from DisneyWorld was that one trip we took the week before.

I wanted to name a piggie Gizmo, and by coincidence the one I chose with Critter Corral was named... Gizmo! He had a health issue called Pea Eye, so with his "googly eye" he didn't get much attention. That was a loss for those who passed him up, because he had a HUGE personality, and was a real joy to know. Rose, who runs the Corral, told me he was a favorite of hers, but he deserved his own home. We gave him that home, and a love affair with a piggie began.

Gizmo liked to play games. He'd run into the corner and look up at you like he was laughing at you. We often would joke that he had a sports car and wore a beret while driving it fast down winding roads. Had he been human, that is exactly who Gizmo would have been. And grapes? The little boy would do anything for grapes. He would grab his and run to savor it. There was never any question as to what his favorite food was.

More than anything, Gizmo was a tough and lovable piggie. He was built like a brick when he came to us. Solid, strong, and powerful as piggies go. His fur was full of rosettes, but very soft. Getting a good hug from Gizmo was about as hard as getting wet if you fall in the ocean. He was a cuddler, a lover, and a sucker for a good backrub.

Gizmo had a few health issues- mainly impaction- that he was able to deal with. Of the piggies who had impaction, Gizmo was the only one who rarely needed help. He was one tough piggie.

Earlier this year, I was forced to work out of town, and didn't see Gizmo much over the last few months. I came home a few weeks ago, and chatted with him, but he had lost weight and wasn't quite himself. I had written to Rose earlier that we thought we were about to lose him, but he seemed to bounce back. I came down one morning right after I came home from working in California, and found he was gone. Beth said she thought maybe he had held on so he could see me again. If so, it was a wonderful gift.

I came downstairs a few days ago, and our sweet boy was laying peacefully on his side, and we knew he had left us. Somewhere, Gizmo runs again with the same tough, hard body he had before he got old. I hope he'll be waiting for me when I get there, because there is so much I want to have him tell me.

I hope everyone who sees this has a chance in their life to have a piggie like Gizmo. All piggies are wonderful, but if you're lucky, you'll occasionally meet the ones that are extra special. Extra Extra Special. Or... like Gizmo.

I miss you, little boy...

David, with Beth

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.