[Gpdd] HEALTH: Critical Care

Dee and Joe deeclark at rcn.com
Sat Dec 25 18:34:17 EST 2004

Carla,

I just went on the Oxbow Hay web page to see the latest info on Critical
Care.  My piggies never liked the original flavor, but now I see it comes in
apple banana flavor.  You can get it from some vets or you have to call
Oxbow and order it over the phone giving them your vets info.  They don't
sell it in stores to make sure piggies getting it are getting proper vet
care.  The addy is www.oxboyhay.com.

I might order the new apple flavor.  Yes, it is a powder and keeps until you
mix it with liquid.

In a pinch I mix my own using pellet dust from the bottom of the bag, or
finely crush up some pellets.  I add poos from a healthy GP, liquid vitamin
C, and Gator-Aid or other sports drink with electrolytes.  Pedialite is
good. but doesn't store for very long, so I never seem to have it when I
need it.  It is rather expensive around here. You can use apple juice, too.
Mix up and feed with a syringe.

I recommend all piggie slaves keep a bottle of children's gas medication
(symethacone) on hand in case of bloat.  It is deadly if not treated right
away.  Also, some Bene-Bac for when they are on antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

Dee

Dee,

     I noticed that you said you prefer to mix your own Critical Care. How
do you do this? I'd like to know in case I ever have the problem and need a
weekend quick fix. We live so far out in the country that I want to know all
the emergency measures I can. Thanks.
     By the way, can you get Critical Care to keep for emergencies in stock
or is it something that has to be prescribed for a specific health problem?

Carla & Curious Bud