[Gpdd] [CARE] <bumblefoot>

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Sun Feb 1 15:31:47 EST 2004

Hi it's Lauren and Piglet and Pooh.
I always want to be ready for anything w/ my GPs, so I'm looking up some general info on bumblefoot now that it's come up. Here's what I've found, maybe someone can comment from personal experience:
Bumblefoot (Ulcerative pododermatitis)  (<-- cpy/pste;)) is a swelling and redness of the foot which may be caused by a fungal infection or by a minor injury leading to an infection. It may also be crusted and/or bleeding. It is not contagious, and may be a relatively common problem among GPs. Some sources say that if a GP is housed in a cage with a wire bottom, abrasive bedding, or unsanitary conditions he is more likely to get it, but others say there is little to no correlation between housing and occurance. My own thought is that because it is an infection, GPs with weaker immune systems (perhaps fighting another illness) may be more suceptible - but again that's only me! i'm no expert. Anyways, as far as treatment, some sites recommend soaking the foot in a warm saline (salt) or chlorhexidine solution. Guru Gurney says that when he put his pigs also suffering from a fungal infestation on an anti-fungal drug (Griseofulvin) that it reduced their Bumblefoot, although the anti-inflammatory aspect of this drug may have been the reason. Another article, (with a picture of bumblefoot - http://www.guinealynx.com/feet.html ) says that this condition CAN BE SERIOUS, and that it can eventually spread to the tendons and bones, and even liver and spleen if left untreated. To make a GP with bumblefoot more comfortable, switch to a softer bedding. Many sites refer to "antibiotics" as treatment. The good site I just mentioned suggests a topical antibiotic, specifically Baytril. A source from this website also suggests an antibiotic be injected directly into the ulcer, which would probably require a vet. Most of the sources cited on this webpage that recommend antibiotics also suggest soaking the foot in either saline or chlorhexidine solution. It also gives suggestions for bandaging the foot. So now I'm glad I have this info for myself and I'll put it somewhere in case I ever need it. I need like a recipe book for GP stuff. <http://www.guinealynx.com/feet.html>

l,p&p