[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Not Eating

Crystal Lewis crystlew33 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 14:11:49 EST 2004

Hello,

Well Spike is still not eating or drinking on his own.  I have been
feeding him pellet mush, baby food, water and paediatric electrolyte
drink.  We went to the vet yesterday morning (Saturday) and she looked in
his mouth, listened to his breathing and heart.  She found nothing.  He is
showing no indication that there is an issue with his teeth... no redness
or drooling.  He has however lost weight... he was 3.3lbs and is now down
to 2.4lbs.  The only thing she could come up with was a bacterial
infection/stomach bug...so she put him on a 7 day course of Baytril.  He
gets one half of a pill twice a day.  Today was the first day of his
treatment and also I gave him some acidophilus.  I am not sure I am giving
him enough though.  I am going to do some research on line but I wanted to
run it by you all in case I don't find an answer.  I bought Children
Chewable Cherry Flavoured Acidophilus tablets.  The bottle doesn't say the
tablet size though but I would guess it to be around 60mg (it's roughly
the size of a standard aspirin).

So, Spike is getting a quarter of an Acidophilus tablet and half of a 15mg
Baytril table twice a day.  Does that sound ok.

I am also going to look for Critical Care but the shipping from USA to
Canada usually takes around 10 days and frankly that is just too long.  I
am searching for a place that offers expedited shipping... but have had no
luck yet.

All in all Spike is still bright eyed and spirited.  Aside for the
eating/drinking/pooping thing he seems normal.  But I am now wondering,
could he be lonely?  We lost Quincy in October and Spike has been solo
ever since.  He is in the main family room, gets lots of food and
attention.  I really don't want to get another male piggie but I will if
would help hin.  At the same time I am hesitant to get another piggie
while Spike is sick.

Thanks for any and all advice and feedback.

Crystal... slave to Spike
remembering always, my angels, Tribble & Quincy