[Gpdd] health ( yes or no to neurtering )

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 23:56:12 EST 2004

Hi
Yeah I thought that way too. But then lots of people on the GPdd said that they had gotten through a neutering, so it was more common than i thought, apparently. I had to find a local vet who had specific experience in neutering GP's (Countryside Vet in Chelmsford, MA). I found it through the internet and emailed them my question and asked specifically the amount of risk involved, in their experience. I went to talk to the lead vet, who actually was a fan and onetime breeder of GPs. He had been doing GP surg for about twenty years, although does only about ten a year. I chose to do laser over scalpel surgery and opted for pain meds which added to the cost, but it was also safer. When I met him with my GPs a week before the surgery I had a good feeling about their safety. If I felt at all uneasy there or questioned his sincerity, I would never have done it. Also, they gave me the option of choosing which vet I would like to perform the operation, and it ended being the vet I met with.
 Here's a link maybe it could help you locate a guinea pig vet:
http://www.cavyinfo.com/html/vet_finder.html
If you don't have luck there, look in the yellow pages or through VetFinder.com for a vet who specializes in "exotics" - and check with them to be sure they have ample guinea pig surgical experience.
P.S. my female and male GP are both recovering well from the surgery. Piglet the lady pig gets her staples out next Mon. Neither seem to be bothered by their stitches or nip at them. She looks so silly as a stapled piggy.
Pooh Bear, Piglet and Lauren