[Gpdd] Re: Announcement: If the decision were easy, how much could you have loved her

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 00:42:10 EST 2004

I would like to express my sadness and my condolences for GEMMA'S mother and
to offer her my thoughts on that decision that terrifies me more and more each
time I read about it here in our digest. The crossing of GEMMA is one of the
most difficult to put to rest. She was a strong and tough little girl who had
a special way that she had to live. She was full of life and energy abounding.
I'm sure her mother, from what she wrote of her little girl, can still see
her as she described, running like a streak from one place to another. Seeing
her eating like there was no tomorrow and playing with Daphie without a worry in
the world. Having said that, could any one of us see that little miracle of a
girl suffering, crying out in pain and not being able to help herself. So
much so that even eating was no longer something she could do to even maintain
the suffering painful state she was in. Beki did what all of us would when she
discovered her condition and took her to the vet. She did all that the vet told
her and I'm sure went well beyond that and the love and caring she had for
GEMMA was truly expressed in her tribute to her. Your decision was based on that
caring and that love. One that GEMMA took with her in your arms when you said
that last loving good-bye. I have written so many times how when God calls
our little ones there is nothing we can do but thank him for every smile and
every moment He gave us with him or her, from the very first moment we set eyes
upon them to until that moment we must say good-bye. So if there is a doubt in
your mind Beak for having made the right decision, just remember how GEMMA
lived and she fought because she knew it meant so very much to you. But the time
came when she could not fight...she WAS tired and the pain was not something
she had ever known. She looked to YOU for help, help to cross the bridge and
become healthy again. She NEEDED to run again...and she NEEDED that field of
parsley that was waiting for her and her on the other side of the bridge. I truly
believe the hardest thing she had to do was persuade you to help her out of
this pain. Each of our little guys know how to speak to our hearts, GEMMA spoke
to yours and your love WAS stronger than your selfishness. God bless your
little girl and help you see that He wanted your to have the opportunity to say
good bye...to take her from misery and pain to restful sleep and to awaken in
that world where all of us will eventually be reunited with our little guys.
And though you might feel your words of sadness and remembrance might be seen as
some more than necessary since GEMMA was "just a pet" you can rest assured
there is not a single reader of this digest who doesn't feel the depth of your
loss not ONE that would see your GEMMA as anything BUT your daughter. No less
than the mothers and fathers of KC, Samoa, Little John, Panda and all those on
the other side of the bridge thought of their little guys as less than family.
So please accept my condolences on GEMMA's passing and if there is anything
to do for Daphie, let it be to thank God every day that she is there to love,
hold her and let her know she IS your daughter and will never be any less.

Sincerely,

Joseph Petrillo, George the guinea pigs daddy