[Gpdd] RE: [CARE] <eating habits>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 14:58:38 EST 2004

Hi Brandi,
Are you feeding your GP a commercial pellet food? These usually have added nutrients and vitamin C which guinea pigs need. I would just suggest that while many people feed their guinea pigs alfalfa, I prefer grass hays and timothy hay because they have less calcium, which can cause bladder stones, and less protein. It may also have Vitamin D, which helps with vitamin C absorption. I give mine a constant supply of timothy hay, which has a lot of roughage and fiber for their systems, in addition to their pellets and their daily veggies. Dark, leafy green vegetables are also a good source of vitamin C, but apparently your baby is very picky! I'd just try a bunch of different things, and maybe eventually he'll find something he likes. If you're worried your GP isn't getting enough vit C, there are also supplements available.
Lauren, P & PB