[Gpdd] [MISC] update after Gemma's Passing

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 15:33:11 EST 2004

I wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful words of condolence after Gemma's passing.  I have had to wait until today to pick up your messages as I wasn't strong enough before now to read them.  Thank you all, it is a comfort to know that there are people in this world that care and understand how I am feeling.

It has been a long and hard week, not helped by the fact I had to take an exam on Friday and had to revise when I just wanted to curl up and be left alone.

Things have queitened down here.  I had a lot of problems getting to sleep for the first couple of days, every time I shut my eyes I kept reliving those last minutes at the vet.  But I am coming to terms with the fact that I made the right decision and Gemma is not suffering anymore.

Daphie seems to be struggling adapting to life on her own.  She spends most of her time in her bedroom only coming out to eat.  She also looks scared whenever I open the hutch to talk to her and she panicked a bit when I had to take her out to clean her hutch.  I think she thought I was taking her back to the vets.

I am starting to wonder whether she is better on her own or whether I should get her some company.  I could never replace Gemma, she had the most strong and individual personality of anyone I've ever met, but maybe Daphie needs new company.

Daphie is nearly 6 years old and a very placid piggy.  She used to let Gemma quite literaly walk all over her.  I am considering getting two baby females.  Two so that if Daphie does pass on, that they will still have each other for company.  But I'm worried in case Daphie is too old to tolerate babies running round her, or when they grow up they challenge her authority since she is so laid back.

What do other think? And do you think that a 5ft by 18 inch hutch would be big enough for 3?

Beki and Daphie