[Gpdd] CARE: Pig Food

Heather Cougar heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Mon Feb 9 15:25:49 EST 2004

We feed Niles Oxbow's "Cavy Cuisine" which is all timothy based. I don't know if he likes this as much as he liked his old alfalfa feed, but he has a bladder stone, so he doesn't get a choice! There is another brand of timothy based feed available but I do not remember the name.

I have found that, depending on the quality of the hay, my pig will also have a decreased interest in pellets. When Oxbow hay is around, pellet interest drops through the basement! Pigs are supposed to get a great deal of their food from hay, to provide fiber etc. but I do worry about him getting enough vitamins.

As far as the nut-and-seed feeds go, I have always heard that not only is there a choking hazard present, but all these tasty tidbits can make a pig unhealthily fat. Feeds with these "extras" make a nice treat but can be too rich for everyday consumption.

Unfortunately, Cavy Cuisine (and all Oxbow products) can be hard to find in stores and are easiest to buy using the website. They do, however, have a database of stores which carry their products which is searchable by state or zip code. (http://www.oxbowhay.com/)

Heather (and Niles)