[Gpdd] HEATLH - pig not eating

Sarah semitchll at netzero.net
Mon Feb 9 13:34:11 EST 2004

Hi all,
I noticed that my oldest pig Howie was not really eating or pooing this weekend. He was showing symptoms that other pigs of mine showed right before they died suddenly from acute intestinal infections. Needless to say I took him to the vet right away. He is now on antibiotics, reglan, and a probiotic. He has not been eating so I have been trying to get a pumpkin/plain yogurt mixture in him.  He doesn't seem to be drinking much and so I have been giving him water also. Tonight I was going to try a pellet mash to see if it interests him.  He is fighting me all the way. I get more food on him than in him.
I am really scared as I have already loss 2 pigs suddenly to enteritis.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am just afraid that he is giving up and his systems will just shut down. The other thing that worries me is that he is kind of old that his 6 year old body won't be able to handle this. Please keep the How-pig in your thoughts.
Thanks,
Sarah