[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: new piggy

BARRINGER JAMIE MAE barringj at ucsu.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:36:28 EST 2004

Hi. My name is Jamie. I haven't successfully introduced my Christmas
piggies yet, and now I have a new one, so the 4 of them are squeeking at
me to introduce them NOW.  Gus (Clarence Augustus) is a huge baby, almost
as big as my 8mo. old piggy, but at only 2 mo. He is a red silkie type
piggy. Originally he was the only piggy I was going to have, as I had
requested a red piggy if my mom's piggy's litter had a red one. Well, when
he was ready to move in, the person who had wanted to adopt her other
babies had backed out, so I adopted Gus's sister, Brunhilde, who at that
time everyone thought was a boy. (As a result I am watching carefully for
signs that Brunhilde is pregnant, since she had been in the same cage with
Gus until a week or so after I got her.) Brunhilde so far looks like a
brindled black and orange abbyssinian, though she may be getting longer
hair.
   I adopted a third piggy from the Denver Dumb Friends League, a
tri-colored American shorthair named Sonja.  I was looking online for
pictures of piggies right before I was to go to a meeting in Denver, and I
had extra stuff and a cage all ready for another piggy, so it made such
sense to go pick her up on the way to the meeting.  She may be pregnant;
the folks at the shelter said that 'the vet says he isn't sure if she's
pregnant'. I'm not sure either, but in a couple more weeks I'll know for
sure. It's possible that she is carrying just one baby, so that she woun't
look as big as my mom's piggy did.
  Anyway, yesterday I adopted the last piggy from mom's litter. Mom
thought this one was a boy, too, but on closer inspection it's a girl, now
named Hyacinthe. She's super cuddly already; she spent about an hour or so
yesterday cuddled up on my lap, chirping happily. She's extremely tiny.
Gus is about the size I would expect for a fullgrown female, Brunhilda is
half his size, and Hyacinthe is a little over half the size of Brunhilde.
I'm hoping she can catch up in size now that she isn't competing for food
with her much larger mother. She is a bit bony right now. She'll be
gorgeous if she fills out just a bit. She is almost a perfect miniature of
Gus, a red silkie.

Well, bye for now. (sorry for the long message. They all insisted on
having their own paragraph.)

- Jamie, with Gus, Brunhilde, Sonja and Hyacinthe