[GPDD] [HEALTH] re: Asthma

Renee Roszkowski rrgallop44 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 10 11:50:09 EST 2004

Hi Roberta!
	I also was diagnosed with asthma. I had a couple of asthma
attacks (not from the animals) and went to a pulmonologist. The first
thing I said was "I'm not getting rid of the animals!" It was absolutely
not an option for me. I love my animals. My pulmonologist said that the
only time she recommends removing pets from the house is if a person is
on steroids and not improving. More often than not, it is not the small
pet, but something having to do with the small pet (like hay or bedding)
that is the trigger. Dander from small pets (rather than cats and dogs)
is often NOT a trigger. She gave me some tips though for minimizing
triggers. Cleaning cages regularly is a must. I use aspen bedding. I
sometimes wear a mask while cleaning, but my asthma is more exercise
induced than anything else, but my allergies contribute to it as well.
Cleaning the cage outside has been suggested to keep the dust out of the
air in the house, or having the windows open if the weather allows. I
have found that pine bedding, even kiln dried, aggravates my allergies.
I have also found Carefresh to be extremely dusty, besides being
expensive. I chose to stick with aspen. Some people use towels (and
corner litter pans with some bedding) and put them in the washer instead
of bedding to minimize dust. Vacuuming regularly, not sweeping, is
important too. Sweeping tends to kick dust and bedding into the air.
Obviously, piggies don't like vacuuming, but they can become somewhat
accustomed to it. I make sure to give them houses to go into if I vacuum
so they can feel more comfortable. When I give them hay, I try to
minimize movement with it when putting it into the cages. I bring the
container very close to the cage. I also wash my hands immediately after
feeding them hay or petting them. You could (or have some one else) also
put hay into serving sized paper bags and just put the paper bag into
the cage so you don't even have to touch the hay. A plain brown paper
bag shouldn't hurt a piggie if they eat a little of it. You could also
try switching to hay cubes instead of loose hay, or using both to
minimize the amount of loose hay in the house. Oxbow Hay company in the
US has timothy hay cubes. You might be able to find them other places as
well.
	Bathing piggies (and other pets) every week can be a problem. I
worked for a vet, and have seen some terrible skin infections from
bathing too frequently (every week). It doesn't always happen, but
happens a lot. Bathing with shampoo removes skin oil. This leaves the
skin dry and itchy. The pets scratch the skin and these small wounds
leave openings for bacteria to come in. Once a month would be more
appropriate, but even that may still be too frequent. It also depends on
the individual pet. Brushing a few times a week may help keep fur and
dander down. If you do bathe, make sure to use a shampoo that is made
for small animals or birds. Kitten shampoo may be appropriate as well.
Do NOT use any type of flea shampoo as this can be extremely toxic and
harsh to the skin.
	I hope this gives you some ideas to start with. Good luck in
managing your asthma.

Renee, Mary and Molly, Patches, Kate and Dora, Flash

Renee Roszkowski
Independant Beauty Consultant
www.marykay.com/ReneeRoszkowski