[Gpdd] Health: timothy pellets

Chizeck, Susan P chizeck at utdallas.edu
Tue Feb 10 14:33:56 EST 2004

________________________________

From: Chizeck, Susan P
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 2:59 PM
To: 'gpdd at gpdd.org'
Subject: food: timothy pellets

A long time ago I talked to the Oxbow pet food company and they
recommend switching to timothy hay and pellets when the piggie is about
8 months old.  Babies and pregnant/nursing moms can have alfalfa.  Oxbow
has great timothy pellets, without junk mixed in, and my piggies love
it.  American Pet Diner, where I buy yummy timothy hay, also has come
out with a timothy pellet that looks quite similar.  Most of the more
commercial food is alfalfa and has other stuff mixed in, which my
piggies would never eat anyway.  Although shipping costs as much as the
food, I find it is worth it: no waste, lots of Vitamin C in it, and my
piggies love it.

<Ok, I have question about pig food. I know pigs aren't suppose to have
alfalfa after they are 6 months old. Well Mia is three months and she
gets a mixture of alfalfa hay and timothy to sleep on. Lincoln on the
other hand is 8 months old and eats only timothy hay. My question is,
their pellets are alfalfa based and I really feel that if im not suppose
to give alfalfa hay to Lincoln then I don't feel comfortable giving him
alfalfa based food. What kind of pellets (that you can buy at a store)
are timothy or grass hay based type food? I plan on finishing the rest
of my pellet bag on Mia but I need something different for Lincoln
because I'm afraid of him getting bladder stones from the high calcium.

Teresa & the piggie Duo>

Susan P. Chizeck,