[Gpdd] HEALTH RE: Brit and Brownie

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Tue Feb 10 17:45:55 EST 2004

Jussy-
Are you giving them hay?  I'm not sure about the apple core - are the seeds
OK for them to eat?  I panicked once because I had put a nicely decorated
little
apple down one evening for the piggies to play with, and when I checked on
it
again about 10 minutes later, it was gone!  Just a very few traces lying
about -
I thought for sure they'd die before morning!  I emailed LJ and whoever else
I could think of to see what I should do, but they were fine.  Now I core
the
apple first, and run the tip of the knife through the skin, all the way
around,
so they can't get too big a piece of skin.  I read somewhere to do this,
because
they could get it caught in their teeth, or swallow it and cause havoc in
their
digestive track.  I don't know if that's a real danger, but I do it every
time, just
in case. Lately I've taken to cutting the apple in half, cross-wise, and
only give
them half at a time, it's not so messy. Plus, they don't get to keep it, I
take what
they don't eat after an hour or two, when I put them back in their cage.
(this is
usually along with a couple baby carrots, cut in half, plus some romaine and
maybe
some red leaf lettuce, topped with some short sprigs of parsley. They wait
excitedly
for their 'buffet', and have their routine of who gets what, and when. But
Snowy
always picks the apple up out of the dish and sets it to the side before
anyone is
allowed to eat it!  I'll come through and pick up stray bits and set them
back in
the dish, and she'll give me a look and grab the apple and set it right back
out!
I've read not to give piggies anything we wouldn't eat ourselves (as in
trimming
bad parts, etc, from the veggies), so maybe give them a slice or two of your
apple?
What kinds of apples do they like?
Susi and the OP's