[Gpdd] [Health] Chinese herb

Heather Cougar heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Tue Feb 10 23:14:10 EST 2004

I posted the other day on GPDD about Shilintong. Our vet prescribed it at the rate of 1 tablet per day for 6 weeks for my pig Niles who has one small stone and had a brief bout of pink pee.

Unfortunately, in my research I could not find any mention of its use on guinea pigs - not a single article or site! However, from the pages and testimonials I've read, it is very helpful to humans with urinary distress and can aid in the passing of human stones as well as the prevention of new ones. Human dosage rate is 6-10 tablets at a time, sometimes on multiple occasions per day at that, so one tablet per day shouldn't, I'm hoping, be too much for a pig.

I would recommend asking your vet about this herb first and foremost. I don't know what led our vet to prescribe it, what her past record with it is, or how much she knows about it - my pig is with a foster family right now, so I actually was not present at the vet visit. But I will try to get more information. Niles is just starting out his treatment, so it's too soon to say what effects it'll have.

Thanks,
Heather (and Niles)