[Gpdd] (Health) Unlimited Hay

Gillian Hayward gillianhayward at oakwoodacorns.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 14:32:09 EST 2004

For 100's or 1000's of years, GP's have lived in the wild eating, grass, seeds, fruits, berries,  grains etc. I don't know about you, but I've never come across a food pellet when roaming the countryside. Whilst it is valuable to give guinea pigs the commercially produced GP food that is on the market today, it's not the most important thing for them to eat and shouldn't be given to the exclusion of hay or vegetables. GP's need to have free choice for the amount of hay that they eat, it provides nutrition, fibre, and helps to keep their teeth trim. I enjoy my food, with the pleasure of eating being as important to me as the nutritional content of what is going into my mouth. I'm sure its the same for guinea pigs who naturally spend much of their time eating. I wouldn't recommend cutting back on hay and veggies to encourage GP's to eat more pellets.

Gillian