[Gpdd] [behavior] potty training

Meredith Farrelly merrie at bu.edu
Thu Feb 12 13:27:01 EST 2004

Cecelia and I tried for weeks with just newspaper, to no avail.  But the second I brought home the little litterbox (one of the triangular plastic ones), she knew just what to do.  All I did was put her in the litterbox.  She jumped out.  I put her back in.  She peed.  I praised her and pet her and gave her a treat, and she happily popcorned around the room.  That was it.  She never looked back.  We have not had a single accident since then (perhaps a few poos, but never pees).  She seems to love using her litterbox, and I am amazed at how quickly she learned.
  I know this isn't true for all pigs, and some may not be trainable at all.  But if you're trying with newspaper without much luck, it's worth trying a little box instead.  Maybe it's the added privacy, maybe she just likes the idea of sitting in a box, but she just loves it.  I'm so proud of my little girl.  She's growing up!
  --Meredith and Not-So-Little Cecelia