[Gpdd] HEALTH: Syringe tips

robyn ferguson robyn_ferguson at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:26:04 EST 2004

Hi All!

I have found when giving meds by syringe that the easiest way is to have the
pig on your lap, facing away, then put a hand under the belly and lift them
up to a sitting position so their back is against your stomach. This holds
them steady and also means you can see what goes in the mouth and what goes
everywhere else! Piggies have a space with no teeth between their incisors
(front teeth) and molars (back teeth) called the buccal space. I put the tip
of the syringe in the side of the mouth so it goes into this space, that
stops the teeth from getting in the way. You might want to try giving a
little at a time and letting the piggy swallow, to avoid choking. I have to
give my pig 1/2mL of liquid meds at the moment and that takes two squirts as
if I give it all at once it's too much for her little mouth and most of it
just goes down her chin.
Piggies are easily diverted so a little bit of a favourite treat right after
the meds can help a piggie forget the unpleasant experience (and also makes
sure they have swallowed everything in their mouth).

Good Luck

Robyn