[Gpdd] BREEDING: RE: Breeding

Sara Deusterhoff deusterhoff at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 15:53:52 EST 2004

Hi,
    Just like to weigh in about the breeding question.  My fiancee and I looked high and low for two little piggies to make us happy.
     We searched.  Along the way we saw hundreds of lil' ones looking for their second chance.  Old ones, young ones, ones from happy families, ones from pet stores that got too old, ones rescued from very bad people, fluffy, funny little puff balls, and popcorning ones that had little bald patches, skittish babies from unwanted litters, some from pet stores that were sure their females were "just too young"....
     It seemed that every day we had new leads for rescue groups, soon to be homeless piggies and overrun shelters, all asking if we'd please like to come see their piggies. Come back in a couple of days, we always have guinea pigs.
     Every day I read the Guinea Pig Daily Digest and often I hear of sick piggies, their owners desperately asking about ailments, odd behavior or the latest remedy.  Every day I read the answers and words of encouragement as hundreds of dollars are spent on sweet much loved piggies and their vet care.   I hear of owners, "slaves" :)  who shop for the best fruits and vegetables, who's pets have a diet so full of nutrients that it could support a child.  Their new toys are bought, discussed and rated, their silliest moments well documented.
     Once in a while I read of the disasters of breeding; the sadness, the loss, the agonizing last few hours of a much beloved guinea pig and her babies.
     What I suppose I'm getting at is this.  People are out there who will love, care for and adore guinea pigs.  These people do not need to be talked into getting one by "free with cage" at the pet store, they don't need the most beautiful breed or the one with the best line.  They already want them, in whatever form they come in.  Maybe you think that you'll simply supply people with their wish...a sweet adorable baby.  But people who truly want piggies, well, they won't mind visiting shelters to rescue the "unwanted"  and aren't those the pigs that truly deserve it?  Every piggie bred, it's another adoptee not going to a home.

Sara and Joe
(and Squishy and Squashy, now mischievous and silly adoptees, rescued from a home with too many pets and not enough time nor love)