[Gpdd] Re: Guiness's Story

ADCAVY at aol.com ADCAVY at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 03:14:05 EST 2004

I have never written to the site before but enjoy the daily fix. However this
morning, Debi's story about Guiness made me so angry I felt I had to write..
After many years of breeding, rehoming and rescuing pigs I think his problem
was a skin parasite. I get pigs in this condition referred to me quite a lot.
Skin conditions due to  parasites such as Selnick mange mite will result in the
death of the guinea pig if left untreated. Many vets opt to put the pig to
sleep through ignorance or they feel guinea pigs are disposable and easily
replaced pets.

I know we all like to feed our piggies well and avoid chemicals etc.. But
please shampoo your pigs regularly. to avoid mite attack and fungal infections.
Ordinary cosmetic pet shampoos are great for cleaning but do they offer any
protection against skin parasites or fungal infections? My experience, and yes,
it is only my experience has taught me not to bother with skin scrapings etc. I
have not lost a pig yet, not due to me being a miracle worker, but by coming
up with a treatment plan. Thank you Peter Gurney.

ISome of the pigs that have come to me have been emaciated, weak. bald and
with very sore skin, in these cases the vet has recommended euthanasia. Straight
away they are shampooed with Seleen dog shampoo. Not only good for flaky skin
or fungal infections but kills lice and mites. We shampoo every two to three
days for ten days. The affected pigs are given a sulpher tablet on the tongue
and vitamin drops  daily as well as put on a diet rich in vegetables and good
quality hay.. They are given three doses of Ivermectin twelve days apart to
kill the skin mite. We use Tee Tree oil  as a massage to relieve the itching of
the skin or Neem oil as recommended by Peter Gurney. Sometimes pigs in this
condition don't want to move because it makes the itching worse so they give up
eating. We use metatone tonic on a spoon (not through a syringe ) to boost the
appetite and feed Complan and a rehydration solution by spoon. As well as
offering hay, dried grass veggies and concentrate. We continue with this
treatment until the pig puts weight on and haireregrows. teeth are checked to make
sure they are not overgrowing. It may seem like hard work but it is so worth it.

We shampoo our own pigs with Seleen every two months and they are extremely
happy. Please put together a fact sheet for yourselves from the good advice
available on this site and from Peter Gurney so that you can find simple
treatments quickly. If needs be educate your vet. Sorry to have gone on so long.

 Antoinette and the magic 60.