[Gpdd] Breeding (Lauren's response in defence of Lisa)

Gillian Hayward gillianhayward at oakwoodacorns.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 16:26:15 EST 2004

Hi Everyone

I have read with interest the postings about not breeding and there have been some extremely valid points. However, I must say that Lauren's post gave a balanced view. Wouldn't it be great if all GP's were born to breeders who vetted new owners, gave them advice and an anytime guarantee to take them back if things didn't work out? We all get support from each other on the digest. Wouldn't it be wonderful if new owners could get that from a local breeder with an emotional interest in the animal that they had sold them? Wouldn't it be great if the breeder boarded animals so that if you needed to go away your GP could go back to visit its family?

I currently have 12 GP's, 8 of which are rescues, so I am only to aware of the problems that exist through irresponsible ownership. I wouldn't encourage anyone to breed GP's unless they are prepared to take lifelong responsibility for litters that they have bred. That doesn't mean that you have to keep them all yourself. What it does mean is vetting new homes and providing new owners with all the help, support and information that they need throughout the lifetime of their GP. It also means taking full responsibility for the GP if things don't work out with their new family.

Breeders absolutely 100% have a place in the continuance of the GP as a domestic pet. We don't need to exterminate breeders, but we do need quality not quantity. Wouldn't it be great if we could educate people to only buy from responsible sources? After all what's the alternative? All breeders stop breeding and in 8 years time the only GP's left are those that either live in the wild or are kept for their meat in places like Peru. I for one wouldn't like to contemplate what the world would be like without the domestic guinea pig. Are we really ready to give up the pleasure that we get from these wonderful creatures?

We cannot enforce our opinions on breeding, but we can educate which I think has happened over the last few days with the postings on the topic. Keep up the lively debate everyone!

Gillian
gillian at oakwoodacorns.co.uk