[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] <My sick guinea pig Kiwi>

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Fri Feb 20 15:31:26 EST 2004

EErrrggghhh.... Unfortunately I have heard of this type of thing before... Parents think that letting a kid's pet die will "teach the kid a lesson in responsibility" or they expect the kid to have saved up (!) enough to get vet treatment... Stephen, I would suggest that RIGHT AWAY you try to get Kiwi to the vet, especially if he hasn't been drinking for 24 hours...dehydration can be serious. Tell your parents that he needs a nail clipping. Or, call the vet yourself (do you have his number, or look it up in the phone book) and tell the receptionist/vet what's been going on with your pig, and ask him if he'll talk to your mom/dad about it. Also, you could offer to forfit some of your allowance or work off some of the cost (by washing the dishes, mowing the lawn, etc) in order to pay for the GP's treatment. Maybe this will teach your parents a lesson in responsibility!!
Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet