[Gpdd] [breeding] Portsmouth show report feb 22 2004

Roy Millea millear at netscape.net
Mon Feb 23 10:57:01 EST 2004

This was an interesting day out. I had found out that the barmaid
(Cheryl)  at my local had piggies, degus and a chinchilla. Well we
entered one of her pigs as a pet, but could not contact anyone about
entering the chinchilla ( I being a full fur & feather show ).
I took 3 abyssinians(abys) and 3 pets (1 smooth, 2 rough ).

We arrived at the venue and I started to get the pigs ready whilst
Cheryl went to beat up the chinchilla lot. 2 minutes later she came back
saying if we got her animal it could be entered.
Much rushing around I found someone who would prepare our pigs while we
went back for the chinchilla.

Well we got back, the girls had tidied up everything, fed and cleaned
the pigs and said that as they were loading the last one, the steward
was coming round to collect it for judging. Cheryl got her cilli in and
one of the 2experts2 prepared him for her.

What a hectic start to the day.

Wandering round, as one does, I spotted a 2nd on Judy's cage ( smooth
adult pet ) - not a bad start to the day, at least we got something. I
looked across and saw a 1st on Agatha's cage ( Any Other Colour[AOC] Aby).
Things are looking up. Cheryl came by and said that Chilli had got a 3rd
- so it was worth going back for him. But nothing on her piggy.We had a
wander round and just before lunch found Cheryl's pig had a first in its
class and 3rd in the challenge. - Things were getting better.

After lunch I noticed that Maude (Roan aby ) was sporting a 1st in class
and  2nd in the challenge.
To cap it all Dizzy ( Brindle aby boar [Poor Charlie's cage mate] ) had
a 1st in both the class and challenge. Get 3 certificates and you get a
rosette - hope hope hope. Alas no 3rd cert, no rosette.
Mind you 2 first aint bad.
At the end when the trophys were handed out I nearly fainted - Dizzy was
best Aby and got a small rose bowl to keep.

All in all, a very succesful day and it seems that Dizzy has got over
Charlie's demise. It then got better. I was approached by one of  last
December's Fareham show Who gave me the rosette that Dizzy won for best
brindle.
A celebratory drink was definitely in order and cucumber all round for
the stars. Oh yes, Cheryl now wants to put her pigs in more shows.