[Gpdd] re: [CARE] <pine bedding>

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Mon Feb 23 14:16:00 EST 2004

Hi Debbie,
I understand that a lot of pine beddings have phenols in them, which may irritate small animals' respiratory systems. The worst kind of bedding you can buy is cedar, I honestly don't know why petstores even sell it. The strong scent of these will deter mites and parasites, but it may also have health risks. However, many people in the small animal community debate whether or not pine poses a real risk. And there are many pine products out there that say the harmful phenols were removed, and still other sources that rebuke their claims. I just decided it's better to be safe than sorry and use different kinds of beddings, even though pine tends to be the least expensive. I like carefresh and cell sorb because it's soft, and not made from pine or cedar. I now line their cage with a layer of aspen wood chips, and cover that with a good layer of soft carefresh, which seems to eliminate odors really well. Another bedding that I like is one from Canada made out of hemp called Lifemate. It is soft, although not as soft as carefresh, and equal in price. It lasts a long time.
Pooh Bear, Piglet and Lauren