[Gpdd] Breeding: An appreciation

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Mon Feb 23 15:01:40 EST 2004

Luita-
Thank you for taking time to add to the many comments on the subject
of breeding gp's.  I agree with you, certainly many of us had our eyes
opened, at least a little more. Hopefully any hurt feelings will quickly
recover.  But your story of how you came to adopt little Bert - it takes
my breath!  What is wrong with people??!!!  Do you suppose that sometimes
it isn't the owner not wanting the animal anymore, but rather of someone
else being mean?  There are such cruel people in the world . . .
Anyway, why can't we all make an effort to reach out, to inform the public.
Let them know, for instance, that gp's cannot survive like that in the
'wild',
nor outside in winter, etc., and if for whatever reason they cannot keep
them, give them someplace to contact, no questions asked,  where they
could leave any unwanted animals rather than a worse fate. Maybe a
helpline where they could first call, maybe a solution could be found so
they could keep them if they wanted. If not, save the pig's life by rescuing
it. At the same time, reach out to animal lovers who will help take care of
them and find them good homes.
This is probably pretty much what the animal rescues do, but I mean
publicize it so the public can't forget it.  Be approachable, so they aren't
afraid to call or to bring in an animal, especially if it's in less than
perfect
health.  And this needs to be everywhere, world-wide.  There have been
too many horror stories - let's all try to organize something to help our
little friends. They at least deserve that.
I try to visualize a stranger as a good friend that I simply have not gotten
to know yet, and so it should be with guinea pigs.  They may not be yours
or mine, but if we took them home, we would soon love them just as much.
OK, I'll get off my soapbox for now (but isn't it our soapbox?).
Pig Lovers of the World, unite - let's show them what PigPower is!

And God Bless You for taking the little guy in and letting him know a
loving home.  Please give Bert and Ernie hugs from the Okie Piggies.
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy, CocoPuff and Lil' Whistle