[Gpdd] Breeding--an appreciation

Debbie Ganley debg43 at ij.net
Tue Feb 24 23:47:37 EST 2004

I agree with you--Potter was dumped at a Petsmart along with 4 other pigs in a box in January, 2 years ago--we live in Florida, but it gets cold here in January (30 degrees at night when they were dumped.)  The people at Petsmart were nice enough to take the piggies to our local humane society to be adopted, which is where we got Miss Spoiled from.  Lately, a pre-school allowed their pigs to breed--wound up with 70 of them in the school in terrible conditions before Humane got involved & rescued them--with the possibility of having 150 pigs since many of the girls were prego.  We all really need to get involved with our local humane societies, but that can be a tough issue also--I applied to volunteer at our humane, just wanted to take care of the many pigs in their Small Wonders area--I'm not a dog person & I had just lost my 14 year old cat 3 days before I went to their volunteer meeting,so I wasn't up to adopting out kittens & cats--just wanted to help the pigs.  That was in November & I haven';t heard squat from Humane since then--they told me they were busy with fundraisers & had no time to train me--still waiting.  Shelters can be political places--hope ya'll have better luck than I did.  Deb