[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] <Piglet hanging on>

LaurieJean gombar sillyca at maine.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 09:40:16 EST 2004

Hi!
As some of you may know I have 2 guinea pigs.  One is Piglet, I got him
when I first moved to Maine.. as a youngin'.  He kept me company on all
those weekend days and weekday nights when I was home alone in my
apartment.  We would fall asleep together on my makeshift couch, an old
bed that served as a couch- I would wake with a start, thinking that he
had peed on me, when in fact, he hadn't.  He would give me this look
like, "you think that little of me do you?  What is going on?  Chill
out.."  I did potty train him by bringing him out for short times and
when I felt he needed to go, put him back in his house, then bring him
right back out after he went.
I met my husband Bill, and after awhile we moved in together.  Sugar was
my second pig.  I got her because she sat in this small aquarium at a
feed/hardware/household stuff store... for about 8 months.  I finally
decided that in December, she was coming home with me.  I then got
Piglet "done."  They live together and have learned to like each other
over the years.
Both of them have had illnesses of various sorts over the years.  I
actually brought Piglet with me during the week of our wedding and
honeymoon because he had some sort of lung thing going on.  His
breathing was really garbly.. and he was on antibiotics.  I did not
trust the neighbors who were taking care of the house to take care of
the meds he needed. SO my inlaws looked after him for the last few days
of his meds when we were away.
Sugar last year had a UTI.. it looked pretty bleak for her... her poos
were so wet.  The vet had me take her off of all veggies and fruits...
She went after Piglet with a vengance... eating his poos and really
giving him the runaround.  She seemed to stay perky... yet denying her
any veggie or fruit was difficult.  I could not even feed Piglet,
because if he came back she would give him "what for" because there
would be evidence on his beard.  She would then eat his cecals... and
get the runs just from his veggie rich diet... which wasn't even that
much.
SO after a few months of that I decided (she is nearly 6 years old) to
feed her veggies and just clean up after her.  When I am in my 80's or
90's, I want to be able to eat and do what I want, if not, what is the
point?  Veggies are what piggies live for (aside from hay- which they
had 3 kinds of from Oxbow).  SO one day they were begging as I was
eating some Dannon strawberry yogurt... with those nice live cultures.
And they started lapping it up.  And darn it if I did not see a change
in her poos... it was almost like I was seeing things... her poos
started forming... so yogurt became a part of their diet.  She sprang
back... veggies were a part of their lives again... guineapigs could
never be so happy and even more "demanding."  I think they were trying
to make up for lost time.  I thought I was going to loose Sugar last
year, but I didn't... she kept hanging on.
SO about 2 weeks ago, I noticed little red spots in Piglet's urine.  Or
pink areas...  I immediately got some pure cranberry juice... no small
expense.. and got him to see the vet the next day.  He was on 10 days of
Baytril and the urine seems to have cleared up.  He has lost a bit of
weight from 2 years ago... 2 years ago he was over 3lbs.
Now he is almost -well when at the vets was just under 2lbs.  He feels
like a little skeleton... and has perked up a bit from this last
illness.  Though I wonder... I try and prepare myself for the
inevitable.  He is almost ready to celebrate his 7th birthday.  I have
been spoiling them both rotten the past few days.  Whatever or whenever
they beg... Piglet will get all excited and perk up when I come by his
dwelling.... following me, and pausing... I know what he wants.
Yesterday I got some special "spring mix" in a bag.  He loves the leaves
in there that are all lacy and light green.  When I think about them
passing on it just drives me to tears.  I try and rationalize... they
have had a great life, if any other pig got half what they did, their
lives would be great.  He knows he is loved... I know he loves me.
So I keep hand feeding him pellets... spoiling him with veggies...
watching... wondering if each day this will be it.  Each time I go by,
is he breathing?  Just asleep in his snuggle sack?  Give his fur a
little tousle... feeling his little ribcage under that soft silky fur.
Purring ensues. Yet every day he has spunk... Still got attitude...
Chittered at us this morning... it is a good sign...
Never easy.
LJ