[Gpdd] FW: CARE: New to Digest

GPDD Forward gpdd-forward at gpdd.org
Wed Feb 25 17:02:46 EST 2004

This is a forwarded message. Please direct all replies to the original
author.

Subject: New to the Digest
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:20:23 +0200
From: "Glenda Gabriel" <GlendaG at sovhealth.co.za>
To: <Gpdd at gpdd.org>

I hope I'm doing this right

I've been reading the digest for a while now and it still amazes me how
many people care for our wonderful little friends.  I live in South Africa
and I have three gorgeous piggies, Gizmo, gidget and autumn.  I got Gizmo
about a year ago and up until that point I had no idea what cavies were.
They aren't very common pets here.  Gidget and Autumn I got a while later
because I fell in love with gp's.  I do have a few problems that i am
hoping someone on the digest can help me with.  I have been to numerous
petshops and I haven't been able to find things that are guinea pig
related. it really is hard because everywhere seems to cater more for
hamsters.  I haven't found any guinea pig food and i am hesitant to feed
them things for hamsters and rabbits.  They do get lots of fresh grass and
veggies.  I have been to endless websites and i haven't been able to find
one that is south african.  It is really disappointing because i want to
give my piggies the best.  I have heard of timothy hay but i can seem to
find it where i live. Can anyone tell me what is an alternative to timothy
hay?  Also my piggies have never been to the vet (I know what everyone must
be thinking) but I have tried and have not found a knowledgable exotics vet
yet. I did take them to my regular vet (who treats my dog) and he said that
he had never seen a gp before.  Luckily they have not had any health
complaints and I have read Peter Gurney's website and I do almost
everything myself (Nail clipping, checking teeth etc). Any way i guess i
just needed reassurance from someone who has had piggies for a long time.
It still makes me smile when i think of the way that these little one's
wrap themselves around your heart.  Take care everyone.

>From

Glenda and the three little pigs (Gizmo, Gidget and Autumn)