[Gpdd] CARE: They like dandelions

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 18:33:49 EST 2004

Thanks for the advice about the safety and procedures for harvesting
pig-food dandelions. Wow! Imagine having fresh free gp food in your own
yard! I went out and pulled up a few dandelions today, cut off the roots and
washed some leaves and flowers in Veggie Wash. BTW, these dandelions do not
seem to give off that milky white juice and the leaves are more like fern
leaves, although there are somelittle spines near the base of the leaf
stems.

Anyway when they heard the washing the piggers were already wheeking. I set
the leaves on a plate and they both reached over and got one. Snickers kept
on eating like there was no tomorrow and Snowball kind of stopped and looked
at me, like he was thinking if he liked it or not. He's usuallly the one who
eats the fastest. But this time Snickers won. While Snowball was beginning
his second leaf, Snickers finished his second, reached over and pulled the
leaf away from Snowball. So I went and washed them another couple of leaves.
They loved them, flowers and all! Now I wonder if they could eat the roots
too.

Dandelions are here! Spring is around the corner!
Happy eating to all,

Carla, S & S