[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT welcome Glenda

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Thu Feb 26 19:46:26 EST 2004

Hi Glenda from South Africa,
I bet Gizmo, Gidget and Autumn are envied by a lot of other piggies...nothing
but fresh gras and veggies...
When I had a guinea pig when I was a child, pellets, timothy hay, toys,
exotic vets...all that was unheard of. My pig lived a long and healthy life, being
outside grazing every day, running around in the yard. My parents made hay
themselves, just for the piggy. I always made sure that she had hard bread to
gnaw on. The only time she needed a vet was when she injured her eye.
Don't be fooled by being told that guinea pigs have to see a vet, especially
an exotic one that charges an arm and a leg.
Unfortunately, it seems that here in the United States guinea pigs are
overbred and not that healthy to begin. But I handle mine not very different than
you handle yours. I treat most illnesses myself, clip nails and so forth, just
like you. I also use Peter Gurney's books as a tool, and get tons of advice
from the internet.
Once a pig starts to suffer from old age I have my vet ( that treats my dog)
put to sleep.
Who knows, your guinea pigs might never get sick. After all, everything you
give them is natural. It doesn't get much better than this.
I would make sure that they get hay and hard bread, both of which is easy to
come by or you could make it yourself. And you are smart to stay away from
rabbit and hamsterfood. Your pigs are proof that pellets yet easy to feed, is not
a necessity.
I hope that this puts your mind at ease.
best wishes,
Marion