[Gpdd] [CARE] <re: new to the digest>

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Thu Feb 26 23:30:07 EST 2004

That's surprising that many people there have never seen guinea pigs before. In the US, they are a pet store staple! (for better or worse). Have you been able to find any local breeders or clubs around you? They might be able to help. There are many alternatives to timothy hay. Any kind of grass hay is ok, so long as it is not treated with pesticides or has mold on it (a lot of horse hay has a small amount of mold which could kill guinea pigs). Brome hay, oat hay, and orchard grass hay are all types of these. What types of hays are available for rabbits there? Is there a local feed store or farm that you could contact?
It is very important that you get your GPs vitamin C. There may be supplements available at pet stores, otherwise many leafy green have vitamin C. My GPs like parsley.
GP pellets are usually fortified and have protein which is important for them, but hay is their main food. I wouldn't feed them food for any other animals, because all animals' dietary needs vary. Someone previously mentioned that there can be a certain additive in rabbit food that is lethal to GPs. So I would encourage you to keep up the search for a guinea pig diet.
I did a quick Google search, and I found a website of a farm/hotel in South Africa which claims to have a few animals as well as guinea pigs, you could email them and ask them where they get their stuff:
http://www.suedafrika.net/accommodation/wildolive_farm.htm
Good luck,
Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet

E2-O: This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by UML's antivirus scanning services.