[Gpdd] (HEALTH) Broken Teeth

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 18:39:16 EST 2004

Hey all slaves and piggies! It's been a while since I posted, since I have been on vacation. Anyhow, here's my dilemma: We have been traveling with our 7 pigs- each one is in its own carrier. They have all been doing fine, eating well and getting lots of floor time. I noticed my 3 1/2 year old boar, Gizmo, was acting funny when I gave him a baby carrot. Hubby flipped him over on his back and I looked in his mouth, to find his two top teeth broken off down to the gum line. Gizmo broke off his teeth once before when he leapt out of my hands and into his cage, but he only chipped the ends....I'm not sure what to do about this. It's been two days, and I don't see any new teeth poking out of the gumline. I know their teeth grow pretty fast, but I'm just wondering when/if  I should start to worry...has anyone else had this problem and what (if anything) did you do to help? Should I worry about the bottom teeth getting overgrown? It's going to be another couple of days before we get back
 home to Maryland and the vet's office. So far, Gizmo has been eating okay; he gets the softer lettuce leaves and I've been giving him slivers of carrot that I cut with a vegetable peeler. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stacy and the Squee Squad (now seasoned travelers)