[Gpdd] [Care] RE: Breeding

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:47:01 EST 2004

Hi Lori.  You can hold the babies right away to get them used to handling.  You can separate the males from the mother at 4 weeks old so they don't get the mother or sisters pregnant.  You can also give them to their new "good" homes at this age.  You should give the babies alfalfa hay, it will be okay if the mom eats alittle bit of it too, give plenty of greens and some fruits.
As for the Dad being taken out of the cage from mom, that is a good idea.  Don't want to back breed, it isn't good for mom.
How many babies did she have?
Good luck.

Lisa

Hello My Guinea Pig just gave birth I was wondering how soon you can hold the babies and how soon can the babies be given away to good homes?  Also is there anything special I need to do for the babies or mother I seperated the father during birth is this ok to do I didnt want her to get impregnated again too soon.  Thankyou, Lori